“Living Vancouver Canada” outlines some of the many Day of the Dead celebrations going on this year.
- Traditional Mexican Day of the Dead Altar at Buen Cafe in Kitsilano. “Buen Café” coffee shop, located at 2350 West 4th. Ave., has set up a beautiful traditional Mexican Day of the Dead altar in one of its front display windows.
- Now to November 2: Traditional Mexican Day of the Dead Altar and Food at La Tequilera Mexican Cantina (formerly Doña Cata). There is a special menu (which changes every day) for Day of the Dead celebration from October 28 to November 2. The restaurant also set up a small Day of the Dead altar in honor of Doña Cata, their grandmother. 5076 Victoria Drive.
- Now to November 2: VII Concurso de Altares de Día de Muertos y Calaveras by Casa Meshiko. Casa Meshiko invites you to make a Day of the Dead altar, write calaveras poems, and post a picture on their Facebook page. Free.
- Now to November 2: Day of the Dead altar to celebrate Mexican writer Carlos Fuentes at The Mexican Consulate in Vancouver. The public is invited to visit. Hours: 8am-12:30 pm. 411-1177 West Hastings.
- Thursday November 1: Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead) celebration at CIPOVAN. Altar for the dead, cooking and dinner of mole negro, a traditional meal from Oaxaca (chocolate sauce), hot chocolate and pan de muerto. Join the cooking and altar-making from 6pm onwards. Dinner and Party. 2791 W 11th Ave. (back basement entrance). Suggested donation $6.00. RSVP.
- Thursday November 1: Day of the Dead celebration at Rhizome Cafe 6pm – 10pm. 317 East Broadway.
- Friday November 2: Day of the Dead community ofrenda at Roundhouse Community Centre by Encanto Culinary Services. 6-8 pm. Roundhouse Community Centre 181 Roundhouse Mews. Free. $7.00 hot chocolate and day of the dead bread. Pre-order day of the dead bread loaves. 604-791-2658.
- Friday November 2 and Saturday November 3: Day of the Dead celebration at PERA College organized bythe “Consejo Consultivo Instituto de los Mexicanos en el Exterior de BC.” Friday November 2, 6pm Opening Ceremony and dances by Mexico Folklore troupe. Saturday November 3, 10am – 5pm Exhibit. 110-668 Seymour St.
- Saturday November 3: VanMusic, CiTR Dia de Muertos Celebration and Art exhibition at Muster Studios with Los Furios at Muster Studios. 136 Powell St. Doors at 6pm. $10.00.
- Sunday, November 4: Day of the Dead Festival and Art exhibition at “Casa del Artista”: 3pm – 10 pm. 150 East 3rd. Ave. (corner of Main Street). P: 604-338-4064. This event is free but donations for the Vancouver Food Bank are appreciated.