The Latin American Landscapes Cluster (2023-25) is funded by the Grants for Catalyzing Research Clusters Offices of the Vice-President, Research & Innovation and the Provost & Vice-President, Academic, UBC Vancouver. It connects scholars from across Arts at UBC whose research engages with landscapes in Latin America. Our workshops, speaker series, and other activities will centre the question of extractivism and its impact on Indigenous peoples, Latin American societies, and the environment.
- Lay the foundations to create a Centre for Latin American Studies in the Faculty of Arts in 2025.
- Apply for external grants
- Push the research focus of UBC faculty and graduate students to dedicate greater attention to both environmental and Indigenous perspectives.
- Organize four workshops, create a monthly speaker series, run digital humanities projects, and write policy pieces.
- Coordinate a non-credit PhD seminar in order to mentor and involve PhD students in research and knowledge dissemination.