As part of the VLAFF, curated by Sonia Medel, in collaboration with imagineNATIVE Film and Media Arts Society…
Indigenous Film from BC and Beyond
Saturday, September 12, 2015, 7pm
SFU Woodwards Centre for the Arts, 3rd Floor, 149 West Hastings Street
With this programme we hope to cultivate a film space where Indigenous and non-Indigenous members from in and outside of the Latin American community, can exchange ideas on critical topics.
This programme includes two sections screening consecutively:
1. Ecologies of Healing and Knowing (Short Films): showcases seven works by Aboriginal media artists from diverse nations and communities.
- Apikiwiyak (Coming Home): 2014, Directors: Shane Belcourt and Maria Campbell
- Indigo: 2014, Director: Amanda Strong
- MOB MEDICINE: 2015, Directors: Amanda Strong and Bracken Hanuse Corlett
- Niipii (Water): 2012, Director: Jules Arita Koostachin
- Onickakw! (Wake Up!), 2014, Director: Sipi Flamand
- The Orphan and the Polar Bear: 2013, Director: Neil Christopher
- Traditional Healing: 2013, Director: Raymond Kaplan
2. Mixtec and Zapotec Short Film Showcase: showcases the works created by the youth who form part of the Campamento Audiovisual Itinerante in Oaxaca, Mexico.
We will also have a Board Member from imagineNATIVE present, along with a few of the directors, and the contributing curator for the Mixtec and Zapotec Short Film Showcase. Overall, I am extremely excited about the creative and critical content of all of the shorts in both of these programmes! It is my sincere hope that much needed dialogue will be fostered.
We really hope to see you at the screening.